The Days are a typical nuclear family living in the not-too-distant future.
- Mr. Day is a public school teacher by profession, always ready to offer his fatherly wisdom to his children (though they do not always appreciate it).
- Mrs. Day is a traditional mother. Keeping her children out of trouble is a full-time job.
- Sonny Day is a 10-year-old boy genius, always working on a new invention in his basement laboratory -- though his social skills are not as advanced as the rest of his mind.
- Wendy Day is an average high-school student, more interested in socializing with her friends than studying.
- Chase Knight, Wendy's best friend, is also more interested in her social life than her grades.
"The Days after tomorrow" was originally published in the State Hornet newspaper at California State University, Sacramento, starting in the fall of 1997.
Creator P.L. Sublett is a newspaper editor currently working in South Lake Tahoe, California, for the Tahoe Daily Tribune.